Monday, August 21, 2006

A brief roundup

Mike and I met for the last time today as Mentor and student.

Mike believes my acheievements this summer are fantastic and that what I was trying to do - coming from a background of no programming experience on Objective-C and Cocoa - was not easy at all.

Mike said that, at best case, I might have been able to get a little bit further with the project. We spoke about the need to buy Stuart a beer to say thanks for all the hard work he put into reviewing my code.

Mike told me that even if I didn't get as much done as I would have liked to, there were students who did *much* less than I did.

I told Mike that I'd be staying on to continue the ever-waging war against the bug list in Camino. I also let him know that when I destroyed my laptop I almost gave up.

I normally transcribe our IRC conversations into prose, but I want to keep this bit as it was:

15:31 <@pinkerton> there's a lot of documentable work here, and a lot of growth and progress, and it's obvious that you learned even more than that just from the experience.
15:31 <@pinkerton> so i'd say it was a successful summer.

I'm looking forward to speaking to Mike, as a friend, in the future :)

I will be posting a longer and much more boring review of my summer experience so you'll probably want to avoid that when I post it next week ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you also spoke of the need to slip something unpleasant into said beer for my being such a PITA ;)

Anonymous said...

I just want to say once more: I got to drag tabs in Camino for the first time ever, well more than a year before I had hoped to be able to do so :D

On that alone I'd call this summer a success! The code may not yet be perfect, but it exists and adventurous users can compile it and play with the features....

Enjoy your time off, and I look forward to seeing more of your work in Camino 1.1 and the future :)