Since tomorrow is a 20% day I have decided to post a short movie this evening. The hope is that by the time I return on Wednesday morning there will be some reasonable feedback based on what you see.
I used iShowU to create this Quicktime movie. It cost me $20 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. No, I didn't get iShowU for free and I am not being forced to promote it.
So, without further ado, a tab-scrolling Camino demonstration! (4.6MB)
Bugs that still exist in the code:
- Newly created tabs that are selected do not cause the tab bar to scroll along to make it the right-most tab.
- The current scroll buttons do no indicate whether or not it is possible to scroll further in that direction.
- Resizing the window while scrolled away from the left-most tab causes re-draw problems.
- If a tab is currently selected and is to the immediate right/left of the tab bar then there is no divider.
- Upon closing a tab that is right-most in the tab bar the tabs are not resized correctly. This is a regression from the first patch submission to the second patch submission.
Some open problems that I'd appreciate feedback on:
- If a user has 100 tabs open, how can we make it easy for them to scroll to the tab that they want to get to?
- How should a user be able to determine how many tabs they have in the active window?
- How animated should the scrolling transition in the tab bar be?